Indonesia continues to enjoy steady economic development with 6 % annual growth rate. The Jakarta Metropolitan Area (Jabodetabek) as the growth center has its share roughly 10% of the national population (237.64 million in 2010 census), 30% of the economic production to the total GDP and 40% of the foreign investment from abroad. These rapid economic growths accelerate the surge in the number of motorcycle and car in the region. Registration number of the motorcycle and car in the area increased 4.64 times in motorcycle and 2.01 times in car from the year 2000 to 2010. While the transportation in JABODETABEK heavily relies on road transportation (almost 98%), the surge in the number of motorized vehicle for private use is tremendous resulting in the reduction in the use of public transport (public transport share in 2010 is reduced to 19.7% from the rate of 57% in 2002) and increasing the number of workers/students that commute from the neighboring regions (number of workers that commute from neighboring region in 2010 is 1.5 times more than that in 2002). This is worsening the traffic congestion in the region and is causing huge economic loss. This situation has brought the necessity of urgent implementation of the public transportation system and integrated transportation strategy for transportation modes and avoidance of the concentration to the Jakarta.

Jabodetabek Urban Transportation Policy Integration (JUTPI) Phase 2 is a technical cooperation between Indonesia Government represented by the Coordinating Ministry of Economic Affairs and Japan Government represented by JICA (Japan International Cooperation Agency). This project was agreed based on Record of Discussion on Jabodetabek Urban Transportation Policy Integration Project Phase 2 between JICA represented by JICA Indonesia with Coordinating Ministry of Economic Affairs, National Development Planning Agency (Bappenas) and Greater Jakarta Transportation Agency (BPTJ).


The objective of the project is to develop the function of administrative institutions of the urban transport system by promoting capacity development and cooperation among urban transportation related organizations in Jabodetabek to contribute the urban development in the public transportation system.

The overall goal of the project is to promote urban development based on integrated public transportation system in Jabodetabek.

To enhance institutional arrangement and capacity for the improvement of urban transport-based system in Jabodetabek.

1. Output 1: to develop a cross-ministerial and cross-boundary framework to promote integrated urban transportation policies in Jabodetabek.
2. Output 2: to enhance capacity of urban transportation related agencies to implement transportation projects in Jabodetabek through implementation of pilot project.
3. Output 3: to enhance capacity of urban transportation related agencies to implement TOD (Transit Oriented Development) model project in Jabodetabek.

The project area of this study is Jakarta Metropolitan Area (Jabodetabek). The Jabodetabek area crosses the boundary of DKI Jakarta Province, West Java Province and Banten Province. For this study, in DKI Jakarta there are five cities that covered in our project area, namely: Jakarta Pusat, Jakarta Barat, Jakarta Timur, Jakarta Selatan and Jakarta Utara (except Kepulauan Seribu). In Jabodetabek area there are five Local Governments in West Java Province, namely Kabupaten Bogor, Kota Bogor, Kabupaten Bekasi, Kota Bekasi and Kota Depok and three Local Governments in Banten Province, namely Kabupaten Tangerang, Kota Tangerang and Kota Tangerang Selatan.

Introduction | Organization & Framework | Team members | Counterpart

© 2017 - JUTPI 2
Jabodetabek Urban Transportation Policy Integration - Phase 2
Setiabudi 2 Building 5th Floor, Suite 502
Jl. H.R. Rasuna Said Kav. 62, Jakarta 12920